Friday 22 April 2011

Happy Easter!

I love, love, LOVE long weekends.  Who doesn't?  A paid day off work, extra time to spend with friends and family, and a special holiday to boot!  But for parents dealing with food allergies, there's always extra things to consider.  Extended family dinners - what foods are going to be safe?  Do we truly trust the people preparing the meal with our child's life?  And for holidays like Easter (which is synonymous with decorating eggs and eating chocolate), how do we find fun and safe ways to celebrate?  The last thing that any parent wants is to see their child missing out for any reason.

The Easter long weekend has several traditions for us.  One is our Good Friday fish & chips dinner at our local independently owned seafood restaurant.  We go out to eat with Mike's parents and sister, my parents and sister, and my grandmother around 3:30pm (any later and the place is an utter madhouse!).  Mike's family goes to this restaurant nearly every Friday and they are well liked by the small staff.  This is fortunate for us, as everyone knows about Dylan's allergies and make special accommodations for us.  I bring some food from home (home made french fries, bread and our margarine, fruit or another dessert) and they poach us a fish fillet for him to eat.  He absolutely loved it last year, as it looked like he was eating the same food as everyone else!  I truly believe that going to independent restaurants (especially as a regular customer) is key.  At chains like Red Lobster, or Montana's or the like, so much food comes in mixes or is completely prepared ahead of time - I've even asked for ingredient lists and had the chef not be able to properly answer!  At independently owned restaurants I've found that the kitchen staff is much more knowledgeable, and much more flexible to safely deal with allergies.

What Easter weekend would be complete without an Easter egg hunt Sunday morning?  The Easter bunny has to be a bit more creative in our house, and tends to leave more toys, books, and art supplies than food.  Last year I bought a bunch of plastic eggs to fill myself, and I put stickers, fruit loops, Gerber puffs, and safe gummies inside.  While Mike was feeding Dylan breakfast, I went outside and 'hid' them all over the front lawn and by the house.  Dylan had a blast outside collecting all of the eggs into the basket, and then had even more fun when he discovered there were treats inside!  This year it's supposed to rain, so we are going to have to do our egg hunt inside.  We got him a Mega Blocks workbench (on sale for an amazing price I might add!) and a Mr. Potato Head (a current favourite) Easter bunny along with a couple of books.  I'm going to fill the plastic eggs with safe treats and hide them throughout the living and dining rooms and put the empty basket on his workbench.  Then we'll let the egg hunt begin!  I'm so excited this year because he absolutely loves surprises and presents, so I think it's going to be even more fun than the last. 




Our Easter breakfast is dollar pancakes, one of the things that I actually don't make right from scratch.  I discovered that Bisquick is completely safe for Dylan (the only allergen listed on the label is wheat) so I cut that corner with no qualms at all!  I don't really measure anything, but if I had to guess I use about:

1 1/2 cups Bisquick
1/3 cup applesauce or mashed banana (an egg substitute and adds flavour!)
enough soy milk to make a runny batter

I preheat my griddle to 350 and voila!  I enjoy real maple syrup, but the flavour is a bit too strong for Dylan.  We use President's Choice light table syrup for him; it has no butter flavouring and is plenty sweet.

We go to Mike's parents for Easter dinner and Mike's mom goes out of her way to cook safely for Dylan.  Turkey, potatoes, vegetables, gravy, all completely safe.  She makes popovers for the adults (not safe) but Dylan is just as happy with a slice of bread and his margarine.  Dylan sits at the table with all of us and often asks to share our food - it's so nice that we can say yes!!

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday and that you get to enjoy all of your traditions with the ones you love.

1 comment:

  1. You know Vikki, I was just thinking the other day what I could do for the kids that didn't have to include chocolate. Why do you need a reason like an allergy to avoid these things for kids? Sad that you have to worry about Dylan feeling left out, but he is so lucky to have you that it's more like other kids will be jealous when they hear about his great holidays! :) Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete