Wednesday 20 April 2011

Easy-peasy fish "sticks"

I don't even know if this qualifies as a recipe since it's so easy, but it's become a favourite over here so I thought I'd post it anyway!  This started because I wanted to have some more quick options for supper - I get off work at 4pm, drive across town to Dylan's daycare to pick him up, then back across to be home around 5pm.  Sometimes I plan ahead and have dinner in the slowcooker or a roast in the oven, but more often I'm scrambling to find something safe, healthy, and quick to feed the little man for supper.  Unfortunately, most things that are quick are neither safe for him, nor are they particularly healthy!

Take fish sticks, for example.  Fish are super healthy, processed fish sticks are most certainly not.  In addition to the milk and egg ingredients in every single brand, they often contain ingredients that I cannot even pronounce.  So I make my own, super easy, 3 ingredient fish sticks.  You need:

1 boneless fish fillet per person, your choice, fresh or frozen (I've used sole, halibut, and perch so far; and tend to use frozen so I always have it on hand and it's easier to manipulate)
1/4 cup flour per fillet (approximately, I rarely bother to measure anymore)
Seasoned salt or other seasoning of your choice, to taste

Place a couple tablespoons of oil in a skillet (I use olive, but anything would work) over medium heat. Cut the fillet(s) into fish-stick or bite size pieces.  In a bowl, mix flour and seasoned salt or other seasoning until blended.  Dampen the pieces of fish with water and roll in the flour mixture (use a fork rather than your fingers!) and placed in the heated frypan.  Cook until done (and it doesn't take long!).  Fish is done when the flesh is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.

That's it!  Super easy, no preservatives, as much or as little seasoning as you want, and you could even make it gluten free by using rice or coconut flour.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment